Paul Hilliard has been elected as councillor to represent the Mudeford and Friars Cliff ward in Christchurch following a by-election.
The results of the by-election, held on Thursday 2 March 2017, are:
- Fiona Janeen Cownie – Green Party – 72
- Sheila Gray – Independent – 466
- Paul Alan Hilliard – The Conservative Party – 629
- Julian Edward Spurr – Labour Party – 91
- Lawrence Wilson – UK Independence Party (UKIP) – 85
The official turnout for the by-election was 31.6% per cent.
Other councillors for the Mudeford and Friars Cliff ward are Cllr Claire Bath (Conservative) and Cllr Trevor Watts (Conservative).
The by-election followed the resignation of Cllr Andrew Barfield due to personal issues.
The result means that Christchurch Borough Council remains in Conservative overall control. There are 21 Conservative, 1 UKIP and 2 Independent members.
Christchurch Borough Council is made up of 24 councillors from 11 wards.