The leaders of these six councils have now met and agreed to formally submit a proposal to the Secretary of State, Rt Hon Sajid Javid, MP. This proposal will be known as ‘Future Dorset’. More information can be found at www.futuredorset.co.uk.
Dorset’s councils employed three highly-regarded and experienced external organisations to prepare documents for consideration – in public – by each council on the biggest possible changes to local government in the county for a generation.
On 5 December the elected members of all Dorset’s nine councils received reports from:
- Opinion Research Services (ORS), on the public consultation carried out 30 August-25 October 2016. The overall consultation analysis results report (you can also read the consultation analysis executive summary) compares findings from the household survey and open consultation questionnaire, features breakdowns of results from each council area and presents the feedback received from stakeholders via all the different consultation activities.
- PriceWaterhouseCoopers (PWC), on the case for change (you can also read the case for change executive summary). This assesses each option’s ability to:
- improve value for money and efficiency
- deliver significant cost savings, and show that the cost of change can be recovered over a fixed period
- improve services for local residents
- provide stronger and more accountable leadership
- be sustainable in the medium–long term
The financial report from Local Partnerships (a company jointly owned by HM Treasury and the Local Government Association) has already been published:
- Dorset Councils Local Partnerships independent financial analysis (full report) and
- Local Partnerships summary of potential options for the reconfiguration of local authorities in Dorset (summary report).
On 8 December the councillors also had the opportunity to attend detailed in-person briefings from PwC, ORS and Local Partnerships.
Council Leaders met on 15 December to review the evidence presented within the documents. They also discussed recommendations to put to their respective councils. On 23 December, a public report was published for consideration by each council as part of the democratic process to formally adopt a position. You can also read an Easy Read version of the public report.
Council meetings in January 2017
Each council will take the report through its usual democratic process via meetings in January. These will be followed by Full Council meetings. All these meetings will be open to the public to attend and, in line with each council’s constitution, ask questions. It is not until these have all taken place that a decision will have been made on which, if any, proposal the Dorset councils will submit to the Secretary of State for consideration.
|Borough of Poole Overview & Scrutiny Committee||Thu 5 January||19:00||Civic Centre, Poole|
|Bournemouth Borough Council Overview & Scrutiny Panel||Mon 9 January||17:00||Town Hall, Bournemouth|
|Borough of Poole Cabinet||Tue 10 January||19:00||Civic Centre, Poole|
|West Dorset District Council Overview & Scrutiny Committee||Tue 10 January||14:15||South Walks House, Dorchester|
|Christchurch Borough Council Scrutiny & Policy Overview Committee||Tue 10 January||18:00||Civic Offices, Christchurch|
|Dorset County Council People & Communities Overview & Scrutiny Committee||Wed 11 January||10:00||County Hall, Dorchester|
|North Dorset District Council Overview & Scrutiny Committee||Wed 11 January||14:00||Nordon, Blandford Forum|
|Weymouth and Portland Borough Council Scrutiny & Performance Committee||Thu 12 January||18:30||Council offices, Weymouth|
|East Dorset Scrutiny and Policy Development Committee||Thu 12 January||18:30||Furzehill, Wimborne|
|West Dorset District Council Executive Committee||Mon 16 January||14:15||South Walks House, Dorchester|
|Christchurch Borough Council Overview and Scrutiny Committee (adjourned from 10 Jan)||Mon 16 January||18:00||Civic Offices, Christchurch|
|Weymouth and Portland Borough Council Management Committee||Tue 17 January||09:30||Council Offices, Weymouth|
|North Dorset District Council Cabinet||Mon 23 January||14:00||Nordon, Blandford Forum|
|Borough of Poole – Full Council||Tue 24 January||19:00||Poole Civic Centre|
|East Dorset District Council Cabinet||Wed 25 January||18:30||Furzehill, Wimborne|
|Bournemouth Borough Council Cabinet||Wed 25 January||10:30||Town Hall, Bournemouth|
|Dorset County Council – Full Council||Thu 26 January||10:00||County Hall, Dorchester|
|West Dorset District Council – Full Council||Thu 26 January||14:15||South Walks House, Dorchester|
|Weymouth and Portland Borough Council – Full Council||Thu 26 January||19:00||Council offices, Weymouth|
|Christchurch Borough Council Policy & Resources||Thu 26 January||18:00||Civic Offices, Christchurch|
|North Dorset District Council – Full Council||Fri 27 January||10:00||Nordon, Blandford Forum|
|East Dorset District Council – Full Council||Mon 30 January||18:30||Furzehill, Wimborne|
|Christchurch Borough Council – Full Council||Tue 31 January||18:00||Civic offices, Christchurch|
|Bournemouth Borough Council – Full Council||Tue 31 January||19:00||Town Hall, Bournemouth|
|Purbeck District Council – Full Council||Tue 31 January||19:00||Westport House, Wareham|